Sir William Pickles Hartley incorporated his jam-making business in 1884 and established a manufacturing base on Rothsay Street in Bermondsey in 1902. When production at the factory ended, the future of this fragment of London’s architectural and industrial history was threatened.
To conserve the factory building, we converted it into a mix of uses to serve a new community.
The result is an attractive new address that combines the best in contemporary high-density living with the heritage values of its site. The existing buildings were sensitively adapted to provide generous apartments, flexible live/work units and space for leisure or commercial uses. The most significant contemporary intervention is the addition of lightweight glazed penthouses that are set-back from the existing façade at high-level. Balconies which face each other across internal courtyards were also added.